building M-Sys DOC driver as a module

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at alpha1.cygnus.co.uk
Fri Jul 21 12:03:07 EDT 2000

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Trevor Woolven wrote:

> Ok, IMHO using an initrd doesn't actually cost you too much, the bulk
> of it is used to store the kernel which has to go somewhere, right? I
> haven't done a comparison on the relative sizes of a kernel with the
> driver compiled in vs one without to measure what the difference is
> but that would be quite a simple thing to do - especially if space was
> getting tight.

initrd requires block deive support. I want to cut that entirely, too.

> I agree that there's a bit of a waste having a DOS
> partition on the DOC to boot syslinux from but neither LILO nor GRUB
> are perfect either.

LILO should be OK now, with the new bootloader protocol which prevents it
from stomping on the EBDA. Grub will hopefully be driving DoC directly,
very soon.

> I agree that getting JFFS on DOC is a good thing but when will it
> happen?

As far as I know, it should work now, but it doesn't use the ECC. You only
get the normal JFFS checksumming, and I haven't yet modified it to cut
down the number of writes.

> I don't see the M-Systems driver being the driver of choice in
> the long run, most people would much rather use a GPL one and that's
> where MTD wins big time!
>
> All I'm doing is a short-term fix for expediency.

This is a very useful thing to do, I agree.

--
dwmw2