FFS2 and MTDs (flash)

David Woodhouse David.Woodhouse at mvhi.com
Mon Jul 5 15:47:58 EDT 1999

jgg at ualberta.ca said:
>  It is not a huge deal, but if you are accessing the same memory again
> and again to do lookups like FFS2 does then a caching in system ram
> does speed things, and you get it for free ;>

I was thinking that the CPU L1/L2 cache will have much the same effect, but
I suppose on the type of systems we're talking about, there's not going to be
a usefully large CPU cache. Shame; it seemed like quite a nice idea.

It'd be nice to retain the option of doing it for those systems where it makes
sense - and I think the way you're doing it should allow that. So we can look
into it later if we want to.

David Woodhouse        David.Woodhouse at mvhi.com       Office: (+44) 1223 810302
 Project Leader,     Process Information Systems      Mobile: (+44) 976 658355
    Axiom (Cambridge) Ltd., Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridge, CB5 0NA, UK.
             finger dwmw2 at ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk for PGP key.