mtd-19990809 including readonly DiskOnChip driver.

David Woodhouse David.Woodhouse at mvhi.com
Mon Aug 9 15:52:14 EDT 1999

I've updated the MTD package to include the modifications and new drivers made
by Jason Gunthorpe, and also the current version of my DiskOnChip and NFTL
code.

It's available at:
	ftp://ftp.linux-mtd.infradead.org/pub/mtd/mtd-19990809.tar.gz

It should contain working drivers for:
	slram		- uncached system memory
	doc1000		- The old DiskOnChip 1000 and ISA flash cards.
	doc2000 	- DiskOnChip2000 (not yet Millennium)
	octagon-5066	- Memory-mapped flash found on a Single Board Computer
	vmax301 	- Likewise.

The devices are presented to the user by default as a character device.
However, three block devices are available:

	ftl		- The original FTL filesystem, as used by PCMCIA
	nftl		- The new (NAND) FTL system, for the DiskOnChip
	mtdblock	- Direct block device access to the MTD

For some reason, the mtdblock_request routine seem to never be called. I'm
obviously doing something stupid, so I'll let one of you tell me why that is :)

Also included is Jason's FFS2 implementation. The bootloader stuff is also
present, but commented out in the top-level Makefile because I haven't yet
upgraded my as86. I'd prefer it if we could make this work without
bleeding-edge utilites. Jason, is that possible?

Soon, I'm intending to merge Alexander Larsson's 'flash.diff' for onboard
CFI-compliant memories. Volunteers to do that would be appreciated, because it
would let me concentrate on completing the DiskOnChip and NFTL code.

Happy Hacking.

David Woodhouse        David.Woodhouse at mvhi.com       Office: (+44) 1223 810302
 Project Leader,     Process Information Systems      Mobile: (+44) 976 658355
    Axiom (Cambridge) Ltd., Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridge, CB5 0NA, UK.
             finger dwmw2 at ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk for PGP key.