FTDI232R + usb hub problem + kernel 2.6.31

Mitja Špes mitja at lxnav.com
Fri Sep 16 09:23:20 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I'm having trouble connecting FTDI devices using FTDI232RL chip and some others through USB Hub.
-------------- log from linux using kernel 2.6.31 -----------
usb 1-1.4: new full speed USB device using mxc-ehci and address 5
usb 1-1.4: unable to read config index 0 descriptor/start: -110
usb 1-1.4: chopping to 0 config(s)
usb 1-1.4: string descriptor 0 read error: -110
usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=6001
usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 1-1.4: no configuration chosen from 0 choices
After this failure no other USB device is detected and I have to restart linux to have USB working
again.
If I connect the FTDI device without USB Hub it works without a problem.

I think this was fixed in newer kernel versions but I cannot pinpoint it.
So my question is - has anyone come across this problem before or knows of patches that fixed this
issue?

Thank you for your input on this!

Kind regards,
Mitja