Linux on Toradex Colibri PXA320

Daniel Mack daniel at caiaq.de
Thu Nov 19 06:38:26 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 02:33:49PM +0300, Dennis Semakin wrote:
> 19.11.09, 10:08, "Daniel Mack" <daniel at caiaq.de>:
>
> >  Hmm, ok, Marek was right - you _do_ face a problem with your MAC
> >  address.
> >
> >  The kernel logic first tries to use the serial number boot tag which
> >  seems not to be present on your board. If that fails, the MAC is read
> >  back from the Ethernet device. But that MAC is indeed bogus, too.
> >
> >  For both cases, the problem is related to your bootloader. It should
> >  either provide a valid serial number (which is how the way Toradex
> >  actually wanted it to be) or leave the MAC address stored in the device
> >  (iow, not reset the device before booting into Linux).
> >
> >  Daniel
> >

> Hi
> I changed MAC address with
> '#ifconfig eth0 down'
> '#ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:14:2D:21:CD:FF'
> '#ifconfig eth0 up'
> It has not brought desirable results :(
> May be I did something wrong?

No, I don't think you did anything wrong. That seems to be a bug in the
Toradex loader. I never used their bootloader but replaced it with
U-Boot, so I can't check. However, I was told that Toradex supplies the
MAC address as system serial number, and the code that went to the
kernel was successfully tested by people using their loader.

The only thing I can think of is that they changed that, either on
purpose or accidentionally. Maybe ask their support channel helps.
Or replace the loader with U-Boot.

Daniel