[BUG] SFP I2C timeout forces link down with PHY_ERROR

Sean Anderson sean.anderson at linux.dev
Thu May 30 09:56:18 PDT 2024

On 5/28/24 14:14, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Tue, May 28, 2024 at 01:52:56PM -0400, Sean Anderson wrote:
>> (forgot to CC Alex)

>> > Well, I haven't seen any case where the bus locks up. I've been able to
>> > recover just by doing
>> >
>> > 	ip link set net0 down
>> > 	ip link set net0 up
>> >
>> > which suggests that this is just a transient problem.
>
> If you look back over the history, i don't think you will find any
> reports to transient problems with real MDIO busses. Hence any error
> is considered fatal. Also, when you consider the design of MDIO, it is
> actually very hard for an error to be detected. It is basically a
> shift register, shifting out 64 bits for a write, or 48 bits for a
> read, followed by receiving 16 bits for a read. There is no protocol
> to indicate any sort of error. If there is no device at the address,
> the pullup means you receive 1s. End of story.

Yes, I would expect the only time there could be transient problems
would be with external MII (such as if someone jiggled the phy).

> With MDIO over I2C, it is I2C which has problems, not MDIO. Do you
> expect transient problems with I2C?

Well, I2C is known to have devices which can get stuck and hang the bus
(generally requiring some bit-banging from Linux to get things unstuck,
or a reset of the device). So while I2C (like MDIO) is supposed to be
completely reliable, there is a history of it being not quite perfect.

That said, I did not expect to see these kinds of errors at all. I'll
have a closer look at the controller driver when I have the time. Maybe
there is some errata for this...

> I would also point out that MDIO is not idempotent. Reading an
> interrupt status register often clears it. Reading the link status
> clears the latched link status. If you need to retry the read of the
> interrupt status register, you cannot, the interrupt has been cleared,
> you have lost it, and probably your hardware no longer works because
> you don't know what interrupt to handle.... If you need to re-read the
> link status, you have lost the latched version, and you have missed a
> up or down event.

Yes. Same thing with I2C.

> I agree with Russell. Figure out why I2C is flaky. Since this is an
> SFP it maybe something as trivial as the contacts need cleaning. Or
> the resistors are wrong, or you have a cheap module which is out of
> spec.

OK, I'll try to dig into this a little more...

--Sean