[Enable Designware XGMAC VLAN Stripping Feature v2 1/1] net: stmmac: dwxgmac2: Add support for HW-accelerated VLAN Stripping

Ng, Boon Khai boon.khai.ng at intel.com
Wed May 29 19:16:05 PDT 2024

> Please trim replies to what it just relevant.
>
> You probably should read:
>
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/maintainer-netdev.html

Hi Andrew, Thanks for pointing that out, will take note on that.

> You might also want to read out to other Intel developers in Jesse Brandeburg
> group and ask them to do an internal review before you post to the list.

I have reached out to our internal intel reviewer, and this patch
was reviewed by Andy Shevchenko for V1 and
Ilpo Jarvinen for V2.

For the V1 I got a NACK for the reason new hw_vlan_en switch
 is being introduced
https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/DM8PR11MB5751E5388AEFCFB80BCB483F
C13FA at DM8PR11MB5751.namprd11.prod.outlook.com/

So, after the internal review of V2 to detach the newly
Introduced hw_vlan_en switch, I have sent the v2 for
internal review and Ilpo helps to point out some of
the code that can be improved.

When I about to send out the v2, I found that the similar
implementation at dwmac4(which I got NACK) is
already accepted at dwmac4 driver
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20231121053842.719531-1-yi.fang.gan
@intel.com/T/

So, I have to revamp the v2 code again to match dwmac4
implementation. as we are using the same upper layer
code (stmmac_main.c). after sending this code out to
review internally again and no one else is entertaining the
review even after email and reminder also private message
were sent out several time and which leads me to publish
the review at the mailing list.

I hold no grievances toward the community or any individual,
I fully understand and appreciate the rigorous review process
necessary to maintain the high quality and integrity of the
linux codebase. My primary goal is to learn and grow as a
contributer and I believe that constructive feedback from
experienced members of the community will be invaluable
in this regard

With that said, I kindly request your assistance in providing
feedback on my code submissions. I am eager to understand
where improvements can be made and how I can align my
contributions more closely with the project's expectations.
By working together, I am confident that we can enhance
the quality of my code and ultimately contribute to the
success of the Linux project as a whole.

Please feel free to review my recent submissions and
share your insights, suggestions, and recommendations.
Your feedback is highly appreciated and will contribute
significantly to help with the linux codebase.

I look forward to your valuable feedback and to continuing
my journey as a contributor to the Linux project.

Regards,
Boon Khai.