SCMI support for sensors shared memory?

Sudeep Holla sudeep.holla at arm.com
Thu Feb 22 22:15:22 PST 2024

On Thu, Feb 22, 2024 at 11:35:21AM -0800, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> Hi Sudeep, Christian,
>
> AFAICT there is no support within scmi-hwmon.c for a sensors shared memory,
> even though the SCMI specification describes how to use it.

Correct, in fact lots of other features which includes statistic information
that use additional shared memory like this one is not supported in the
kernel driver. Though there was request to have such a feature when the
specification was initially developed, it was soon realised that most of
the platforms can't afford to have large amounts of shared memory needed
for this purpose. Yes even 512 or 1kB can be considered large on some
platforms that use dedicated SRAM for this SCMI communication as the
co-processor incharge of providing SCMI platform may not have access to
DRAM and hence DRAM curv eout is not an option.

So AFAIU, there was no known platform requiring this feature until now,
hence we never added it to the kernel as we can't test the same.

> Is this something that you are working on by any chance, or should we
> contribute it once we have it ready?

We are not working on it. So feel free to contribute, happy to review and
get that merged if required/supported on certain platforms.

--
Regards,
Sudeep