resctrl2 - status

Moger, Babu bmoger at amd.com
Fri Sep 8 11:08:55 PDT 2023

Hi Tony,

On 9/6/2023 1:21 PM, Tony Luck wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2023 at 07:50:12AM -0700, Reinette Chatre wrote:
>> heh ... sounds familiar to "To transition smoothly it may be required
>> for all currently supported features to be loaded by default". It is not
>> obvious to me how this also closes the other opens.
> Reinette,
>
> It seems unlikley that I'll be able to close every open. But I'll
> keep trying as you point them out.
>
> I've just pushed an updated set of patches to:
>
>    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/aegl/linux.git resctrl_v65
>
> Rebased to v6.5. Includes the module auto-load code discussed in
> previous e-mail.
>
> James:
>
> I'm now hoping for some feedback from ARM folks on whether this is a
> useful direction. Is it possible to implement MPAM features on top of
> this base architecture independent layer. If not, am I just missing
> some simple extensions that you will need. Or is there some fundamental
> problem that looks hard/impossible to resolve?
>
> Babu:
>
> Can you try this out on an AMD system. I think I covered most of the
> existing AMD resctrl features, but I have no machine to test the code
> on, so very likely there are bugs in these code paths.
>
> I'd like to make any needed changes now, before I start breaking this
> into reviewable bite-sized patches to avoid too much churn.

I tried your latest code briefly on my system.  Unfortunately, I could
not get it to work on my AMD system.

# git branch -a
   next
* resctrl2_v65
# ]# uname -r
6.5.0+
#lsmod |grep rdt
rdt_show_ids           12288  0
rdt_mbm_local_bytes    12288  0
rdt_mbm_total_bytes    12288  0
rdt_llc_occupancy      12288  0
rdt_l3_cat             16384  0

# lsmod |grep mbe
amd_mbec               16384  0

I could not get  rdt_l3_mba

# modprobe rdt_l3_mba
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'rdt_l3_mba': No such device

I don't see any data for the default group either.

mount  -t resctrl resctrl /sys/fs/resctrl/

cd /sys/fs/resctrl/mon_data/mon_L3_00

cat mbm_summary
      n/a      n/a /

Thanks