next/master bisection: baseline.login on qemu_arm-virt-gicv3

Masahiro Yamada masahiroy at kernel.org
Mon Oct 10 07:03:03 PDT 2022

On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 10:49 PM Mark Brown <broonie at kernel.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 10:31:51PM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 7:35 PM Mark Brown <broonie at kernel.org> wrote:
> > > On Fri, Oct 07, 2022 at 11:35:25PM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
>
> > > The baseline config and fragment are both in:
>
> > >    https://storage.kernelci.org/next/master/next-20221004/arm/multi_v7_defconfig%2Bdebug/gcc-10/config/
>
> > Thanks for sharing the .config file.
>
> > With it applied, I can reproduce the boot error.
>
> > And, I see the same boot error on v6.0-rc7, which my branch is based on.
>
> > So, arm is already broken in the mainline, and
> > my kbuild patches are irrelevant.
>
> > Also, please check the bisection logic of kernelci.
>
> I *suspect* there's some involvement from link ordering, object sizes
> and exact placements here and there's probably some toolchain variance
> (the KernelCI results are with Debian's GCC 10).

Different GCC versions result in different machine code output.
If the problem repeats appear/disappear with slightly different code
placement, it is already broken.

Just in case, I removed the output tree, and built v6.0-rc7 kernel
from the clean tree.  I swear to see the boot failure.
I want to agree my patch is not the cause of the issue.

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada