[RFC v8 net-next 00/16] add support for VSC7512 control over SPI

Colin Foster colin.foster at in-advantage.com
Sat May 14 15:00:10 PDT 2022

On Mon, May 09, 2022 at 05:13:05PM +0000, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> On Sun, May 08, 2022 at 11:52:57AM -0700, Colin Foster wrote:
> >
> > 		mdio0: mdio0 at 0 {
>
> This is going to be interesting. Some drivers with multiple MDIO buses
> create an "mdios" container with #address-cells = <1> and put the MDIO
> bus nodes under that. Others create an "mdio" node and an "mdio0" node
> (and no address for either of them).
>
> The problem with the latter approach is that
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/mdio.yaml does not accept the
> "mdio0"/"mdio1" node name for an MDIO bus.

I'm starting this implementation. Yep - it is interesting.

A quick grep for "mdios" only shows one hit:
arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/fsl-lx2160a-bluebox3.dts

While that has an mdios field (two, actually), each only has one mdio
bus, and they all seem to get parsed / registered through
sja1105_mdiobus_.*_register.

Is this change correct (I have a feeling it isn't):

ocelot-chip at 0 {
    #address-cells = <1>;
    #size-cells = <0>;

    mdio0: mdio at 0 {
        reg=<0>;
    };

    mdio1: mdio at 1 {
        reg = <1>;
    };
};

When I run this with MFD's (use,)of_reg, things work as I'd expect. But
I don't directly have the option to use an "mdios" container here
because MFD runs "for_each_child_of_node" doesn't dig into
mdios->mdio0...