Scheduling (unused) board file removal for linux-6.x

Arnd Bergmann arnd at kernel.org
Thu Jun 30 00:57:56 PDT 2022

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 12:53 AM Rob Herring <robh at kernel.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 2:44 PM Arnd Bergmann <arnd at kernel.org> wrote:
> > pxa
> >
> > There are a ton of boards on this one, including seven with qemu support,
> > but based on IRC discussions, my feeling is that everyone who worked on
> > this has already lost interest a few years ago. There is rudimentary DT
> > support, so it may be helpful to pick one or two boards (gumstix?) with
> > good qemu support and keep them around for conversion to DT, while
> > removing all other boards.
>
> FWIW, u-boot is removing all PXA support.

I had a look at what boards are left in u-boot at the moment and found 41
board numbers for machines that can still boot (older) kernels using ATAG.
Almost all of them require DT in the mainline kernel already though, the
only two exceptions are:

* pxa270-colibri (getting removed from u-boot now), and
* davinci da850evm (kernel has both DT and a board file)

All other SoCs on my list already have no u-boot support at all.
For davinci, u-boot supports the same three boards as the kernel
using DT, on PXA the colibri has been the last one standing for a
while now.

       Arnd