ipv4/tcp.c:4234:1: error: the frame size of 1152 bytes is larger than 1024 bytes [-Werror=frame-larger-than=]

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Wed Sep 8 10:00:11 PDT 2021

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 3:43 AM Linus Torvalds

> On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 6:35 PM Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > I think a lot of them have just copied the x86 code (it was 4k long
> > ago), without actually understanding all the details.
>
> Just to put the x86 number in perspective: it was raised to 8192 back
> in 2013, with the comment
>
>     x86/cpu: Increase max CPU count to 8192
>
>     The MAXSMP option is intended to enable silly large numbers of
>     CPUs for testing purposes.  The current value of 4096 isn't very
>     silly any longer as there are actual SGI machines that approach
>     6096 CPUs when taking HT into account.
>
>     Increase the value to a nice round 8192 to account for this and
>     allow for short term future increases.
>
> so on the x86 side, people have actually done these things.
>
> Other architectures? I think some IBM power9 machines can hit 192
> cores (with SMT4 - so NR_CPUS of 768), but I don't think there's been
> an equivalent of an SGI for anything but x86.
>
> But admittedly I haven't checked or followed those things. I could
> easily imagine some boutique super-beefy setup.

POWER10 was just announced with threads 1920 using SMT8,
I think the latest s390 and sparc64 (from 2017) are in the same
ballpark when using SMT. The largest arm64 I know of was ThunderX3
with 768 threads on dual-socket machines. This got cancelled before
it was shipped to customers, but it's likely that others will exceed that
in the future.

       Arnd