ipv4/tcp.c:4234:1: error: the frame size of 1152 bytes is larger than 1024 bytes [-Werror=frame-larger-than=]

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Sep 7 15:16:05 PDT 2021

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 5:27 AM Naresh Kamboju <naresh.kamboju at linaro.org> wrote:

> /builds/linux/net/ipv4/tcp.c: In function 'do_tcp_getsockopt.constprop':
> /builds/linux/net/ipv4/tcp.c:4234:1: error: the frame size of 1152

None of these seem to be new.

It looks like this is (yet another) example of some build testing that
just never cared about warnings.

Which was the exact problem that the new -Werror flag is all about.
All these build test servers that only go "ok, it built, never mind
all the warnings".

Everybody tells me that the build servers care about warnings.
Everything I actually see tells a very different story indeed.

              Linus