ETHTOOL set speed support for VNIC_VF Device

Bobby Jones rjones at gateworks.com
Mon Mar 8 23:07:51 GMT 2021

Hi Sunil,

I'm working with a CN8030 based board trying to utilize ethtool's set
speed functionality. Looking at nicvf_ethtool.c in the 5.11.2 kernel I
can see that the ethtool_ops struct defines get_link_ksettings() but
not set_link_ksettings() which is what I'm assuming would be needed
here to use ethtool to set speed/duplex.

Is there a particular reason why eth_set_ksettings was not implemented here?
Is there code somewhere that implements it?
If not, any suggestions on what would need to be done to implement it
myself? I'm relatively new to kernel development but I'm happy to
learn.

Thank you,
Bobby Jones