stable: KASan for ARM

Linus Walleij linus.walleij at linaro.org
Mon Mar 8 09:44:03 GMT 2021

On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 4:00 PM Michał Mirosław <mirq-linux at rere.qmqm.pl> wrote:

> Would you consider KASan for ARM patches for LTS (5.10) kernel? Those
> are 7a1be318f579..421015713b30 if I understand correctly. They are
> not normal stable material, but I think they will help tremendously in
> discovering kernel bugs on 32-bit ARMs.

It's a development feature not supposed to be enabled in production/product
kernels and following the stable kernel rules I don't see what this
code would achieve in stable.

IMO it's a better idea to provide a branch with KASan for each stable branch
that developers can pull in if they want to enable it and use it for testing.

Are you interested in setting up such branches for others to use?
I think it would be helpful. Also the work shouldn't be very hard after bring-up
and it ends when the last stable pre-v5.11 kernel is EOL:ed.

Yours,
Linus Walleij