5.10 LTS Kernel: 2 or 6 years?

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Fri Jan 29 04:49:51 EST 2021

Hi!

> > If 5.10 is "actually" going to be supported for 6 years it would be quite valuable to make such a declaration.
> > https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

CIP project maintains kernels for 10 years; if long term stability is
important to you, you are welcome to join.

> Why?  What would that change?
>
> Ok, seriously, this happens every year, and every year we go through the
> same thing, it's not like this is somehow new, right?
>
> I want to see companies _using_ the kernel, and most importantly,
> _updating_ their devices with it, to know if it is worth to keep around
> for longer than 2 years.  I also, hopefully, want to see how those
> companies will help me out in the testing and maintenance of that kernel
> version in order to make supporting it for 6 years actually
> possible.

CIP project intends to maintain 5.10 for a long time, so you can
expect testing/help from them:

https://www.cip-project.org/blog/2020/12/02/cip-to-embark-on-kernel-5-10-development-for-slts

Best regards,
								Pavel