[v2] Old platforms: bring out your dead

Michael Ellerman mpe at ellerman.id.au
Sun Jan 17 05:33:00 EST 2021

Arnd Bergmann <arnd at kernel.org> writes:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 9:37 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
> <glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Arnd!
>>
>> > * No objection to removing arch/powerpc/platforms/cell that I
>> >   had mentioned I plan to do.
>>
>> Does this affect the capability to run Linux on the PS3?
>>
>> If yes, it would be great if it could stay as the PS3 is a rather
>> widely used platform although you certainly won't find any PS3
>> users on the LKML.
>
> No, as I wrote in the initial email, I'm planning to move the things
> (like spufs) that are shared with PS3 into arch/powerpc/platforms/ps3
> and remove the parts that are only used on the IBM blades.

As I said a while back, I'm not convinced that's a good idea.

The only way I have of testing cell is using a QS22, I don't have a PS3
capable of running Linux these days. I worry that if I can't test cell
at all then the PS3 support will bit rot.

I know Geoff tests PS3, but that seems sporadic, I don't think he tests
linux-next every day.

I also don't think the cell blade support is really causing much in the
way of maintenance overhead. The thing that's causing work is spufs, and
that would remain either way.

I'd be happy to drop any QS20/21 code we have, but I'm not convinced
dropping QS22 is a good trade off.

cheers