Delay recognizing USB-Drive with Kernel 5.9.12

Martin Blumenstingl martin.blumenstingl at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 16 14:56:02 EST 2021

Hello Thilo,

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 4:28 PM thilo <thibau at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello!
> I am new to linux, please excuse false statements :-)).
> I think there is a USB_PWR_EN-problem in the kernel (UAS-driver???)
to verify if USB_PWR_EN is really the cause of this problem you can
add the "regulator-always-on" property to
arch/arm64/boot/dts/amlogic/meson-g12b-odroid-n2.dtsi (and then
re-build the kernel)
see the attached patch (not tested as I don't have an Odroid-N2 myself)

[...]
> https://forum.armbian.com/topic/11741-boot-from-ssd-with-n2/page/3/
> with:
> 'None ... delay was necessary when using kernel 4.9.x so ... seems ...
> problem with the 5.x kernel series, presumably around the UAS driver ...'
that link mentions:
> Edit /boot/boot.ini and add "usb_storage.quirks=0bc2:3321:" to the linux command line parameters.
this could mean that we're not looking at a problem with the Odroid-N2
but something specific to the USB controller on this Seagate device
involving the people on the Linux USB mailing ist
(linux-usb at vger.kernel.org) is probably a good thing to do

> With Armbian-config, changed
> Kernel 5.9.12 to 4.9.247 (gladly very easy with that!)
> After that recognition of USB-SSD was fast.
The 4.9 kernel is probably using patches (and various hacks) from
Amlogic which may or may not be part of the newer upstream Linux
kernel versions (for example 5.9).
Sometimes differences can be spotted by comparing the "dmesg" (kernel
log) output of both kernels.

Best regards,
Martin