Consult on ARM SMMU debugfs

Robin Murphy robin.murphy at arm.com
Fri Jan 15 12:17:32 EST 2021

On 2021-01-15 15:14, Russell King - ARM Linux admin wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 08:01:48PM +0000, Robin Murphy wrote:
>> On 2021-01-07 02:45, chenxiang (M) wrote:
>>> Hi Will,� Robin or other guys,
>>>
>>> When debugging SMMU/SVA issue on huawei ARM64 board, we find that it
>>> lacks of enough debugfs for ARM SMMU driver (such as
>>>
>>> the value of STE/CD which we need to check sometimes). Currently it
>>> creates top-level iommu directory in debugfs, but there is no debugfs
>>>
>>> for ARM SMMU driver specially. Do you know whether ARM have the plan to
>>> do that recently?
>>
>> FWIW I don't think I've ever felt the need to need to inspect the Stream
>> Table on a live system. So far the nature of the STE code has been simple
>> enough that it's very hard for any given STE to be *wrong* - either it's set
>> up as expected and thus works fine, or it's not initialised at all and you
>> get C_BAD_STE, where 99% of the time you then just cross-reference the
>> Stream ID against the firmware and find that the DT/IORT is wrong.
>>
>> Similarly I don't think I've even even *seen* an issue that could be
>> attributed to a context descriptor, although I appreciate that as we start
>> landing more PASID and SVA support the scope for that starts to widen
>> considerably.
>>
>> Feel free to propose a patch if you believe it would be genuinely useful and
>> won't just bit-rot into a maintenance burden, but it's not something that's
>> on our roadmap here.
>
> I do think that the IOMMU stuff needs better debugging. I've hit the
> WARN_ON() in __arm_lpae_map(), and it's been pretty much undebuggable,
> so I've resorted to putting the IOMMU into bypass mode permanently to
> work around the issue.
>
> The reason that it's undebuggable is if one puts printk() or trace
> statements in the code, boots the platform, you get flooded with those
> debugging messages, because every access to the rootfs generates and
> tears down a mapping.
>
> It would be nice to be able to inspect the IOMMU page tables and state
> of the IOMMU, rather than having to resort to effectively disabling
> the IOMMU.

Certainly once we get to stuff like unpinned VFIO, having the ability to
inspect pagetables for arbitrary IOMMU API usage will indeed be useful.
 From the DMA mapping perspective, though, unless you're working on the
io-pgtable code itself it's not really going to tell you much that
dumping the mappings from dma-debug can't already.

FWIW whenever I encounter that particular warning in iommu-dma context,
I don't care where the existing mapping is pointing, since it's merely a
symptom of the damage already having been done. At that point I'd
usually go off and audit all the DMA API calls in the offending driver,
since it's typically caused by corruption in the IOVA allocator from
passing the wrong size in a dma_unmap_*() call, and those can often be
spotted by inspection. For active debugging, what you really want to
know is the *history* of operations around that IOVA, since you're
primarily interested in the request that last mapped it, then the
corresponding unmap request for nominally the same buffer (which allowed
the IOVA region to be freed for reuse) that for some reason didn't cover
one or more pages that it should have. The IOMMU API tracepoints can be
a handy tool there.

Robin.