Old platforms: bring out your dead

Arnd Bergmann arnd at kernel.org
Sat Jan 9 16:18:46 EST 2021

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 6:34 PM Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/8/2021 2:55 PM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > * bcm/kona -- added in 2013, no notable changes after 2014
>
> I have a development board that I occasionally turn on for testing
> upstream kernels, it has not broken in a while which is why it did not
> get much updates. I don't feel strongly with respect to keep it or
> dropping it though.

Does that include all Kona-family SoCs or just one of them?
I see Kconfig listing bcm23550, bcm2166x and five variants of
bcm281xx.

We've seen a bit of a comeback of older phones making it into
mainline, so it's possible this platform might see a revival as well.
I now found a list of phones with partial postmarketos support [1]
and ongoing work as of last year.

Let's leave it untouched for now and see if any of those make
it upstream. If only the reference boards are supported and
nobody wants to use new kernels on commercial hardware in a
few years, we can then remove it.

       Arnd

[1] https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Broadcom_chipsets