5.10 LTS Kernel: 2 or 6 years?

Willy Tarreau w at 1wt.eu
Thu Feb 18 13:20:50 EST 2021

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 06:53:56PM +0100, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 09:21:13AM -0800, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> > As a company, we are most likely shooting ourselves in the foot by not
> > having a point of coordination with the Linux Foundation and key people
> > like you, Greg and other participants in the stable kernel.
>
> What does the LF have to do with this?
>
> We are here, on the mailing lists, working with everyone.  Just test the
> -rc releases we make and let us know if they work or not for you, it's
> not a lot of "coordination" needed at all.
>
> Otherwise, if no one is saying that they are going to need these for 6
> years and are willing to use it in their project (i.e. and test it),
> there's no need for us to maintain it for that long, right?

Greg, please remember I expressed I really need them for slightly more than
3 years (say 3.5-4) :-) I'm fine with helping a bit more as time permits if
this saves me from having to take over these kernels after you, like in the
past, but I cannot engage on the regularity of my availability.

Overall I think that a lot of people completely underestimate the amount
of work it requires to maintain stable kernels, and how much it could be
distributed. By having a bunch of users participate a little bit more
(e.g. by sometimes backporting the patches that are essential to them,
by testing what's relevant to their use case), it already offloads a lot
of work. I don't think the extra work requires to be much organized if
there are enough participants to share the efforts.

Regards,
Willy