[GIT PULL 2/3] ARM: dts: samsung: DTS for v5.12

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Tue Feb 9 03:25:31 EST 2021

Hi Alexandre,

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 12:10 AM Alexandre Belloni
<alexandre.belloni at bootlin.com> wrote:
> On 08/02/2021 23:14:02+0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 10:35 PM Alexandre Belloni
> > <alexandre.belloni at bootlin.com> wrote:
> > > Are there really any platforms with the dtb built into the firmware?
> > > I feel like this is a mythical creature used to scare people into keeping
> > > the DTB ABI stable. Aren't all the distribution already able to cope
> > > with keeping DTB and kernel in sync?
> >
> > I think most traditional PowerPC systems fall into this category, most
>
> My understanding was that the traditional PPC systems had a small device
> tree and usually are not affected by driver changes but I may be wrong.

They were much simpler than a modern SoC, with most functionality
implemented by modularity (e.g. PCI devices, I still like 'compatible
= "pci1186,100"'[1] ;-)
And the bindings were simple and stable (i.e. they did exist before the
platform was shipped).

[1] http://users.telenet.be/geertu/Linux/PPC/pci/ethernetAT4/

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert