New 'make dtbs_check W=1' warnings

Arnd Bergmann arnd at kernel.org
Mon Apr 12 19:52:37 BST 2021

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 6:01 PM Bjorn Andersson
<bjorn.andersson at linaro.org> wrote:
> On Mon 12 Apr 08:14 CDT 2021, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 1:32 PM Geert Uytterhoeven <geert at linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> > > On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 5:08 PM Arnd Bergmann <arnd at kernel.org> wrote:
>
> So the same binding patch is picked up both in the driver and soc tree?
> I was expecting that to cause (harmless) conflicts when things arrive in
> Linus' merge queue?
>
> Or are you saying people go the length to create immutable branches for
> each binding?

I think it's usually one immutable branch for all the bindings of a given
merge window. This avoids the merge conflicts, and you can add further
bindings on the same branch before sending it off to the soc tree.

> I'm curious because it's fairly often that we introduce clocks,
> interconnects etc where the macros from the dt bindings includes aren't
> available for another release (so we use numerical constants and then go
> back and fix them up later).

Ah right, it is particularly bad for platforms that don't have a regular
layout in these blocks and need to define a new constant every time
another clock/reset/pin/... is discovered in the downstream sources.

I was mainly referring to the simpler problem of defining a binding
document for a device once, and then merging the nodes.

       Arnd