[RFC/RFT PATCH 0/6] ARM: p2v: reduce min alignment to 2 MiB

Ard Biesheuvel ardb at kernel.org
Sun Sep 20 06:06:20 EDT 2020

On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 at 10:57, Russell King - ARM Linux admin
<linux at armlinux.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 09:50:30AM +0200, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:

> > > At this point I think this really ought to be split into a file of its
> > > own... and maybe even rewritten in C. Even though I wrote the original
> > > code, I no longer understand it without re-investing time into it. But
> > > in either cases the whole of head.S would need to have its registers
> > > shuffled first to move long lived values away from r0-r3,ip,lr to allow
> > > for standard function calls.
> > >

> > I agree with that in principle, however, running C code with a stack
> > with the MMU off is slightly risky.
>
> It's more than "slightly".  C code has literal addresses, which are raw
> virtual addresses.  These are meaningless with the MMU off.
>
> I guess one could correct the various pointers the code would read, but
> you could not directly access any variable (as that involves
> dereferencing a virtual address stored in the function's literal pool.)

We might be able to work around that by compiling with -fPIC, and/or
by ensuring that all inputs to the routine are passed via function
parameters. But I agree that using C for this code is probably not the
right choice.

If there is no disagreement about the 2 MiB alignment, or the choice
of opcodes for the patchable sequences, I can prepare a v2 that fixes
the issues I mentioned, and has some more explanatory comments in the
patching routine.