[Patch 2/2] cpufreq: tegra194: Fix unlisted boot freq warning

Sumit Gupta sumitg at nvidia.com
Thu Oct 8 07:11:06 EDT 2020

>>> So you are trying to figure if the frequency is listed in freq-table or not,
>>> otherwise setting the frequency to a value you think is appropriate. Right ?
>> During boot, want to set the frequency from freq_table which is closest to
>> the one set by bootloader.
>
> Right.
>
>> During resume from suspend-to-idle, want to restore the frequency which was
>> set on non-boot cores before they were hotplug powered off.
>
> Why exactly do you want to do that ? Rather you should provide
> online/offline hooks for the cpufreq driver and do light-weight
> suspend/resume as is done by cpufreq-dt.c as well.

Thank you for pointer. Added online hook to avoid warning during
hot-plug-on for the non-boot CPU's while exiting from Suspend-to-RAM. Will
send new version with the changes.

>>> This is what the cpufreq core already does when it printed these boot time
>>> messages. Do we really need to add this much code in here ?
>> We want to avoid the warning messages.
>
> Hmm, okay.
>

>>> If you really don't want to see the warning, how about fixing it the way cpufreq
>>> core does ? i.e. with this call:
>>>
>>> ret = __cpufreq_driver_target(policy, policy->cur - 1, CPUFREQ_RELATION_L);
>>>
>> The cpufreq core change will help in bootup case but not during the case of
>> resume.
>> In this change, reading the previously stored value and restoring it will
>> also fix the warning message during resume.
>
> You were getting the message during resume as well ? Why ? The
> firmware is updating the frequency to a previous value ? If that is
> so, you should just set the frequency again to some other value during
> resume to fix it.
Yes, it boots at a predefined frequency and then some time is taken to
restore the last frequency which software requested before entering
Suspend-to-RAM. We don't need to re-write the register again.