net: phy: Dealing with 88e1543 dual-port mode

Russell King - ARM Linux admin linux at armlinux.org.uk
Thu Nov 19 10:19:39 EST 2020

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 02:55:00PM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux admin wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 03:22:46PM +0100, Maxime Chevallier wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I'm reaching out to discuss an issue I'm currently having, while working
> > on a Marvell 88E1543 PHY.
> >
> > This PHY is very similar to the 88E1545 we already support upstream, but
> > with an added "dual-port mode" feature that I'm currently using in a
> > project, and that might be interesting to have upstream.
> >
> > As a quick remainder, the 88E154x family are 4-ports PHYs that support
> > Fiber (SFP) or RJ45 Copper interfaces on the media side, and QSGMII/SGMII
> > on the host side.
> >
> > A datasheet for this PHY family can be found here [1] but unfortunately,
> > this public datasheet doesn't explain the mode I'm going to discuss...
> >
> > The specificity of the 88E1543 is that is can be configured as a 2-port
> > PHY, each port having the ability to have both a Copper RJ45 interface and
> > a Fiber interface with automatic media detection, very much like the
> > 88x3310 that we support, and that is used on the MacchiatoBin.
> >
> > This auto-media detection is the specific mode i'm interested in.
> >
> > The way this works is that the PHY is internally configured by chaining
> > 2 internal PHYs back to back. One PHY deals with the Host interface and
> > is configured as an SGMII to QSGMII converter (the QSGMII is only used
> > from within the PHY), and the other PHY acts as the Media-side PHY,
> > configured in QSGMII to auto-media (RJ45 or Fiber (SFP)) :
> >
> >                 +- 88e1543 -----------------------+
> > +-----+         | +--------+          +--------+  |  /-- Copper (RJ45)
> > |     |--SGMII----| Port 0 |--QSGMII--| Port 1 |----<
> > |     |         | +--------+          +--------+  |  \--- Fiber
> > | MAC |         |                                 |
> > |     |         | +--------+          +--------+  |  /-- Copper (RJ45)
> > |     |--SGMII----| Port 2 |--QSGMII--| Port 3 |----<
> > +-----+         | +--------+          +--------+  |  \-- Fiber
> >                 +---------------------------------+
>
> Yes, this is somewhat like the 88x3310 - the 88x3310 PHY is actually a
> collection of different PHY blocks integrated together, with a chunk of
> firmware controlling the whole thing, enabling the appropriate PHY
> blocks and routing the data paths amongst them as required.
>
> With the 88x3310, we don't care very much about the MAC-facing blocks
> (PHYXS in Clause 45 terminology). We certainly do not check the PHYXS
> for link before reporting that the PHY as a whole has link - this is
> actually very important, since with the 88x3310, we have to report to
> the MAC that the link is up so the MAC can configure its PHY facing
> interface correctly before that part of the link will come up.
>
> Also, if we look at 88e1512 when used in SGMII to copper mode, this
> PHY re-uses its fiber side for the MAC facing SGMII interface, so can
> be regarded similar to your above diagram.
>
> So, a question for you: does the above setup for ports 0 and 2 require
> any software configuration of the PHY, or is that all achieved by
> [...]

Note that it'll need slightly different initialisation paths, separate
from the 88E151x. If we're in PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_SGMII, we don't look
at the fiber page (for the reason I mentioned above - it's re-used for
the MAC facing side of the PHY.)

Also, yes, I realise that this doesn't conform to "DT describes the
hardware". It's a question of how detailed a description we actually
need. DT is not a schematic tool - it hasn't ever been used to describe
everything at the hardware. It is a software representation of the
hardware components in the system needed to be driven by software.

If a component does not need to be driven by software, arguably it
doesn't need to be mentioned in the DT description of the hardware.

Consider a PCI(e) card. It's treated as a black hardware box as far
as firmware descriptions go, even if we know the hardware consists of
an Ethernet device and a separate PHY.

FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!