[Question] arm64: head: invalidating stale cache with mmu off

Jisheng Zhang Jisheng.Zhang at synaptics.com
Mon Nov 16 22:18:55 EST 2020

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 09:52:10 +0900 Wonhyuk Yang wrote:

> Hi, I have a question about dmb barriers in arm64's head.S.
> In the head.S, I could see the pattern below several times.
>
> str w0, [x1]
> dmb sys
> dc ivac, x1   // Invalidate potentially stale cache line
>
> I found that,
> arm64: head: fix cache flushing and barriers in set_cpu_boot_mode_flag
> commit: d0488597a1b71
> explained this code.
>
> > This patch reworks the broken flushing code so that we:
> >
> > (1) Use a DMB to order the strongly-ordered write of the cacheline
> > against the subsequent cache-maintenance operation (by-VA
> > operations only hazard against normal, cacheable accesses).
> >
> > (2) Use a single dc ivac instruction to invalidate any clean lines
> > containing a stale copy of the line after it has been updated.
> > Use a DMB to order the strongly-> ordered write of the cacheline
>
> But I still don't  understand why the store operation should precede the
> dc operation.
>
> Is there any problem, if the dc operation precedes the store operation?

Just my opinion:
If dc op precedes the store, speculatively fetch of system cache or arch
cache for guest os after the dc could still bring coherence problems when
the var is checked later. I.E consider below sequence:

dc ivac

speculatively fetch of system cache or arch cache for guest os

str	w20, [x1]