[v5,2/3] PCI: mediatek-gen3: Add MediaTek Gen3 driver for MT8192

Jianjun Wang jianjun.wang at mediatek.com
Tue Dec 22 03:38:17 EST 2020

On Tue, 2020-12-22 at 11:55 +0800, Nicolas Boichat wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 11:38 AM Jianjun Wang <jianjun.wang at mediatek.com> wrote:

> > > Code is good, but I had to look twice to make sure the mutex is
> > > unlocked. Is the following marginally better?
> > >
> > > hwirq = ...;
> > >
> > > mutex_unlock(&port->lock);
> > >
> > > if (hwirq < 0)
> > >    return -ENOSPC;
> > >
> > > return hwirq;
> >
> > Impressive, I will fix it in the next version, and I think the hwirq can
> > be returned directly since it will be a negative value if
> > bitmap_find_free_region is failed. The code will be like the following:
> >
> > hwirq = ...;
> >
> > mutex_unlock(&port->lock);
> >
> > return hwirq;
>
> SG, as long as you're okay with returning -ENOMEM instead of -ENOSPC.
>
> But now I'm having doubt if negative return values are ok, as
> irq_hw_number_t is unsigned long.
>
> msi_domain_alloc
> (https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/kernel/irq/msi.c#L143)
> uses it to call irq_find_mapping
> (https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/kernel/irq/irqdomain.c#L882)
> without check, and I'm not convinced irq_find_mapping will error out
> gracefully...

I see, it seems the msi_domain_alloc function assume the get_hwirq
callback always success, maybe I should allocate the real hwirq in the
msi_prepare
(https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/kernel/irq/msi.c#L304)
and set it to arg->hwirq, and override the set_desc
(https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/drivers/pci/msi.c#L1405)
to prevent the modify of arg->hwirq.

> > > I don't know much about MSI, but what happens if you have a bit that
> > > is set in PCIE_MSI_STATUS_OFFSET register, but not in msi_enable?
> >
> > If the bit that in PCIE_MSI_STATUS_OFFSET register is set but not in
> > msi_enable, it must be an abnormal usage of MSI or something goes wrong,
> > it should be ignored in case we can not find the corresponding handler.
> >
> > > Sounds like you'll just spin-loop forever without acknowledging the
> > > interrupt.
> >
> > The interrupt will be acknowledged in the irq_ack callback of
> > mtk_msi_irq_chip, which belongs to the msi_domain.
>
> Let's try to go through it (and please explain to me if I get this wrong).
>
> Say we have:
>
> msi_enable = [PCIE_MSI_ENABLE_OFFSET] = 0x1;
>
> while loop:
>
> msi_status = [PCIE_MSI_STATUS_OFFSET] = 0x3;
> msi_status &= msi_enable => msi_status = 0x3 & 0x1 = 0x1;
> for_each_set_bit(msi_status) {
>    do something that presumably will disable the MSI interrupt status?

Yes, the corresponding interrupt status will be cleared.

> }
> (next loop iteration)
>
> msi_status = [PCIE_MSI_STATUS_OFFSET] = 0x2;
> msi_status &= msi_enable => msi_status = 0x2 & 0x1 = 0x0;
> for_each_set_bit(msi_status) => does nothing.
>
> msi_status = [PCIE_MSI_STATUS_OFFSET] = 0x2;
> (infinite loop)
>
> Basically, I'm wondering if you should replace the while condition
> statement with:
>
> while ((msi_status = readl(msi_info->base + PCIE_MSI_STATUS_OFFSET) &
> msi_enable))

Yes, it will be a dead loop if we receive an abnormal interrupt status,
I will fix it in the next version, thanks for your kindly review.