LS1043A : "synchronous abort" at boot due to PCI config read

Gilles Buloz Gilles.Buloz at kontron.com
Fri Apr 27 05:29:32 PDT 2018

Le 27/04/2018 10:43, Ard Biesheuvel a écrit :
> (add Bjorn and linux-pci)
>
> On 13 April 2018 at 19:32, Gilles Buloz <Gilles.Buloz at kontron.com> wrote:
>> Dear developers,
>>
>> I currently have two functional workarounds for this issue but would like to know which one you would recommend, if any :-)
>> I'm using a LS1043A CPU (NXP QorIQ Layerscape) and get a "synchronous external abort" when booting because of a PCI config read
>> during PCI scan.
>>
>> I'm using a custom hardware (based on LS1043ARDB) having a PEX8112 PCIe-to-PCI bridge connected to the LS1043A to have a PCI slot
>> for legacy devices. This bridge only supports PCI-Compatible config accesses (offset 0x00-0xFF).
>> On this PCI slot I connect a PCI module made of a PCI-to-PCIe bridge plus PCIe devices behind.
>> The problem occurs when the kernel probes the PCIe devices : as they are PCIe devices, the kernel does a PCI config read access at
>> offset 0x100 to check if "PCIe extended capability registers" are accessible (see drivers/pci/probe.c, function
>> pci_cfg_space_size_ext()). Unfortunately the PEX8112 PCIe-to-PCI bridge that is in the path reports an error to the CPU for this
>> access, and it seems there's no way to disable that on this bridge.
>>
>> The first workaround I found was to patch drivers/pci/host/pci-layerscape.c to have PCIE_ABSERR_SETTING set to 0x9400 instead of
>> 0x9401 (for PCIE_ABSERR register) to disable error reporting. This only impacts an NXP part of the Linux kernel code, but I'm not
>> sure this is a good idea (however it seems to be like that on Intel platforms where even MEM accesses to a no-device address return
>> FF without any error).
>>
>> I've also tried another workaround that works : patch drivers/pci/probe.c to use bus_flags to remember if a bus is behind a bridge
>> without extended address capability, to avoid PCi config read accesses at offset 0x100 in
>> pci_cfg_space_size() / pci_cfg_space_size_ext(). But this patch impacts the generic PCI probe method of Linux.
>>
>> Any Idea to properly handle that issue ?
>>
> This seems like a rather unusual configuration, but I guess that if
> the first bridge/switch advertises its inability to support extended
> config space accesses, we should not be performing them on any of its
> subordinate buses. How does the PEX8112 advertise this limitation?
>
> That said, I wonder if it is reasonable in the first place to expect
> that a PCIe device works as expected passing through a legacy PCI
> layer like that.
>
> .
The PEX8112 PCIe-to-PCI bridge has capability PCI_CAP_ID_EXP, but has no PCI_CAP_ID_PCIX capability.
As I understand the lack of PCI_CAP_ID_PCIX is advertising this limitation on the PCI side (no support for PCI config offset >=0x100).
Also I guess in the case of a bridge having PCI_CAP_ID_PCIX, this limitation would be advertised by the lack of PCI_X_STATUS_266MHZ
and PCI_X_STATUS_533MHZ (as done in drivers/pci/probe.c at pci_cfg_space_size())

I'm currently using the attached patch (for kernel 4.1.35-rt41 from NXP Yocto BSP). It uses bus_flags to remember if a bus is behind
a bridge without extended address capability to avoid PCi config accesses at offset >= 0x100. Thanks to this patch I now have a
functional system with functional PCI/PCIe devices.