kdump: need help with kexec -p

James Morse james.morse at arm.com
Fri Oct 13 03:30:57 PDT 2017

Hi Prabhakar,

On 13/10/17 10:41, Prabhakar Kushwaha wrote:
>> On 11/10/17 10:11, Prabhakar Kushwaha wrote:
>>> We are facing some issues while using  kexec -p on ARM64 NXP platforms.
>>>
>>> 1) After calling kexec -p, if immediately "panic" is triggered the crash kernel
>>> does not boot. If we run few commands and wait for atleast (20-30 secs),
>> before
>>> triggering the panic, the crash kernel boots.
>>
>> What kernel version do you see this on?
> linux-linaro-lsk-v4.4  (f3b1dec5e8f2b4d17442a79bcb1f15953056519d)
>
>> Can you log the kernel output in each
>> case, (do you get a 'bye' message even when the new kernel doesn't boot).

> Yes I get 'bye' message in all cases.

Okay, so this means you get out of the old kernel. No further output means its
stuck either in purgatory or the new kernel before we manage to output anything.

Are you using earlycon?

>>> 2) We do not see the issue ("1" ), when we do umount -a, before calling the
>> panic
>>> after kexec-p.
>>
>> What filesystems (ext4, nfs etc) do you have mounted, and which ones does
>> 'umount -a' get rid of?

My theory here was that some writeback thread was causing kdump to block..

> root at ls1043ardb:~# mkdir temp; mount -t ext4 /dev/mmcblk0p3 temp/
> [   27.786681] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p3): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
> root at ls1043ardb:~# cat /proc/mounts
> /dev/root / ext4 rw,relatime,block_validity,delalloc,barrier,user_xattr,acl 0 0
> devtmpfs /dev devtmpfs rw,relatime,mode=0755 0 0
> proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
> sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
> debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
> devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000 0 0
> /dev/mmcblk0p3 /home/root/temp ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
>
> root at ls1043ardb:~# umount -a
> umount: /dev: target is busy
>         (In some cases useful info about processes that
>          use the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1).)
> umount: /: target is busy
>         (In some cases useful info about processes that
>          use the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1).)
>
> root at ls1043ardb:~# cat /proc/mounts
> /dev/root / ext4 rw,relatime,block_validity,delalloc,barrier,user_xattr,acl 0 0
> devtmpfs /dev devtmpfs rw,relatime,mode=0755 0 0
> proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
> sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
> devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000 0 0
> root at ls1043ardb:~#
>

>> Where are these filesystems stored?
>>

> We are using ramdisk.
>
> Bootargs: ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/ram0 earlycon=uart8250,mmio,0x21c0500 crashkernel=512M loglevel=8 ramdisk_size=0x20000000

Okay, so in your (1) doesn't-boot case the mmc driver is still in use, and may
have dirty data to write back.

This fits with your 'wait 20 seconds and it works'. (you can check this theroy
by increasing /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs to something more than
20seconds should break this).

Your case (2), after 'umount -a' your mmc driver is no longer in use, any dirty
data will have been written back. This case works.

(Is it the driver or the data causing the problem? You could try 'mount -o
remount,ro' on the mmc filesystems)

[...]

>> (...does crashing on a different CPU change the behaviour?)
>>> taskset -c 1 bash -c "echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger"
>>

> I tired taskset -c 1 bash -c "echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger" and taskset -c 2 bash -c "echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger".
> Both worked i.e. crash kernel boot.
>
> One strange observation: Very first time crash kernel never boot. If you restart and try again.. it start working.
> I tried 3 iteration.   1/3 --> failed for both core 1 and core 2.    Subsequent restart and try always worked.
>
> Not able to correlate with anything.

restart via platform firwmare? That is odd. Do the CPUs always come up in the
same order? (you're using PSCI to bring up secondaries?)

>> For kdump, we've already crashed, so you've already lost data. Its a best effort
>> can we get to a point where you can debug the original crash.
>>

> Looks like umount  -a is not mandatory for kexec -p

Not mandatory because it would be actively harmful:
Umounting or even just syncing filesystems would write any dirty data back to
disk, which may be corrupt. (hence the 'not syncing' message from the kernel).

> Further observation
> ** On upstream the dump capture boots (the issue is not observed) **
> Default config + enabled RAM Block Device

> ** On 4.4 LSK: (default defconfig + enabled RAM Block Device); issue is observed **

It looks like this is something to do with the mmc driver. I would look for
differences between the mainline driver and LSK, there may be some fixed-bug
causing the issue you are seeing.

Thanks,

James