defconfig'ed v4.13 does not boot on ThunderX

Robin Murphy robin.murphy at arm.com
Wed Oct 4 06:38:58 PDT 2017

On 04/10/17 08:25, Itaru Kitayama wrote:
> Hi,
>
> defconfig'ed kernel v4.13 does not boot on ThunderX, leaving only
> messages below:
>
> EFI stub: Booting Linux Kernel...
> EFI stub: Using DTB from configuration table
> EFI stub: Exiting boot services and installing virtual address map...
>
> Our HW is by GIGABYTE, the model is R150 T62 rev 100:
>
> http://b2b.gigabyte.com/ARM-Server/R150-T62-rev-100#ov
>
> The BIOS we're on is T43. Has anyone testing upstream kernels seen a
> similar
> issue like this?

FWIW defconfig does *not* enable most of the ThunderX drivers (most
importantly, PCI and networking will be missing).

I've just built the v4.13 tag with the appropriate drivers added and
booted it on a different ThunderX box - the net core throws some
warnings from __dev_xdp_attached() but it gets to userspace OK for me.

Robin.