KVM/ARM: sleeping function called from invalid context

Mark Rutland mark.rutland at arm.com
Thu Mar 30 08:29:56 PDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 03:31:12PM +0100, Mark Rutland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm seeing the splat below when running KVM on an arm64 host with
> CONFIG_DEBUG_ATOMIC_SLEEP and CONFIG_LOCKDEP enabled.
>
> I saw this on v4.11-rc1, and I can reproduce the problem on the current
> kvmarm master branch (563e2f5daa66fbc1).
>
> I've hacked noinlines into arch/arm/kvm/mmu.c in an attempt to get a
> better backtrace; without this, the report says the call is at
> arch/arm/kvm/mmu.c:299, which is somewhat confusing.

Looking again, that initial kernel was not a vanilla v4.11-rc1, and I am
*not* able to reproduce this issue with a vanilla v4.11-rc1.

I believe I had applied an earlier fix for the locking issue Suzuki
recently addressed, which was why my line numbers were off.

I *can* trigger this issue with the current kvmarm master, and the log I
posted is valid.

Sorry for the bogus info; I will be more careful next time.

Thanks,
Mark.