next-20170621 build: 1 failures 7 warnings (next-20170621)

Lorenzo Pieralisi lorenzo.pieralisi at arm.com
Fri Jun 23 02:43:56 PDT 2017

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 05:13:16PM +0800, Ryder Lee wrote:
> Sorry for late reply,
>
> +Lorenzo
>
> On Wed, 2017-06-21 at 18:04 +0800, Mark Brown wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 10:56:07AM +0100, Build bot for Mark Brown wrote:
> >
> > Today's -next fails to build an arm allmodconfig due to:
> >
> > > 	arm-allmodconfig
> > > ../drivers/pci/host/pcie-mediatek.c:485:8: error: implicit declaration of function 'pci_register_host_bridge' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
> >
> > caused by eaf3023b0498a (PCI: mediatek: Add MediaTek PCIe host
> > controller support).
>

> Hi Lorenzo,
>
> I picked up your changes and had some modifications like what you did
> for other platforms:
>
> 9f8e3a5 PCI: Add devm_pci_alloc_host_bridge() interface
> 35a1a84 PCI: Add pci_free_host_bridge() interface
> e33aafd PCI: Initialize bridge release function at bridge allocation
>
> ...and it looks Okay.
>
> I have also noticed that you continue sending patches for other
> platforms but I have not yet had a look in detail. I'm quite busy these
> days and don't have time to dig it, hence it is becoming a little
> unmanageable for me.

If it is unmanageable you don't add yourself as a maintainer of that
PCI host bridge driver, you know, we are all busy.

Your driver in the PCI tree as it stands contains already two bugs:

1) It leaks memory on the probe failure path
2) pci_fixup_irqs() is broken on configurations with multiple host
   bridges

And we keep copy'n'pasting that code.

> Did you have a chance to send the same patches for MediaTek?  I
> appreciate that and I can help to test it on our platforms.

No, how could I have sent them ? It is not upstream and it is a separate
branch in the PCI tree. As I mentioned in another thread it is probably
best to drop my pci_fixup_irqs() removal patches since it is impossible
to work on them without a stable branch to apply them against, in the
interim we keep adding PCI host bridges that use the wrong interfaces by
copy'n'pasting code that I have been trying to remove.

I think the best solution is to repost my series when v4.13-rc1 appears
and ask all new crop of host bridge drivers to rebase against it.

I won't be able to follow mailing lists till end of next week, which
is bad timing.

Bjorn, is the plan above ok ? Please let me know how you want to
proceed.

Thanks,
Lorenzo