imx6: enet: clock selection (ref/ptp)

Andy Duan fugang.duan at nxp.com
Thu Feb 9 02:49:06 PST 2017

From: linux-arm-kernel Stephan Bauroth <der_steffi at gmx.de> Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 10:09 PM
>To: linux-arm-kernel at lists.infradead.org
>Subject: imx6: enet: clock selection (ref/ptp)
>
>Dear linux-arm,
>
>I recently stumbled upon a few minor things that took a lot of time. The meta-
>situation was, that I wanted to have a PHY attached via RMII to an IMX6D
>(very similar to Q). While the management of the PHY over MDIO worked fine
>and U-boot was able to transfer my kernel image via NFS, the kernel itself
>couldn't even ping my development PC.
>
>A lot of research later, I was able to isolate the problem down to the
>reference clock of the RMII interface. U-Boot initialized it falsely with 125 MHz
>(for RMII, only 25 or 50 are OK) but then did not use it but relied on the
>external oscillator which was present. Sadly, Linux didn't. After first correcting
>U-Boot to set the clock to 50 MHz, which did not help (due to phase-async, I
>think), I tried to figure out why Linux switches to the internal PLL instead of
>keeping the external one.

The RMII reference clock depends on your board design.
The 50Mhz clock can be sourced from:
	- Internal PLL
	- External OSC
ptp and RMII reference clock tree is the same at imx6q/dl chips.
Clock " enet_ref " is defined for MAC reference clock like RGMII txclk or RMII reference clock.

The current code in community seems difficult to understand and logic is not clear.
I will submit one patch to clean it when I am free.