[GIT PULL 1/2] Broadcom dts changes for 4.11 (part 2)

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Tue Feb 7 13:05:06 PST 2017

Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> writes:

> On Wednesday, February 1, 2017 6:06:07 PM CET Florian Fainelli wrote:
>> Please note that because of the "clk" topic branch merged by Eric, we end-up with
>> pulling in v4.10-rc2 which is responsible for the funny diff here.
>
> It's generally better to avoid those back-merges entirely, that is not
> the only problem with them. Our DT branch is already based on -rc3,
> so it's not a back-merged for me, and I think that's ok when I send
> it upstream.
>
> However, I see that you do pull in these changes:
>
> Eric Anholt (5):
>       clk: bcm2835: Don't rate change PLLs on behalf of DSI PLL dividers.
>       clk: bcm2835: Register the DSI0/DSI1 pixel clocks.
>       clk: bcm2835: Add leaf clock measurement support, disabled by default
>
> I'd rather not have those in next/dt at all, and at the very least
> we require an explanation in the changelog about why you are sending
> them to arm-soc. I assume that they are present in the clk-next
> tree and won't get rebased, but that's not clear from your pull
> request.
>
> Are you doing an incompatible DT binding change that requires changing
> the dts files and the driver together? If so, that also needs to be
> in the changelog (or avoided if at all possible).

The clock maintainers merged my patches that created a new index in the
DT binding, and produced a clk-bcm2835 branch for us to merge so that we
could get the new index #defines.

I guess I wasn't clear in my PR (https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/1/31/736)
that the reason for the merge was just that we needed the #define.  I'll
try to be better about that.