[RFC 0/4] Parse ACPI/PPTT for cache information

Xiongfeng Wang wangxiongfeng2 at huawei.com
Mon Aug 7 21:19:02 PDT 2017

+Cc John Gary (who is working on the PPTT with me)

Hi Jeffrey,

On 2017/8/8 1:10, Jeffrey Hugo wrote:
> [...]
>>> but that information isn't as useful as the already provided NUMA
>>> SRAT/SLIT information which provides relative distances. The one
>>> useful thing, is the number of physical sockets but due to the
>>> way arm64 considers "clusters" to be sockets, a larger discussion
>>> is required here.
>>
>> I think we need the socket to represent the true topology of
>> the SoC, which means that considering clusters to be sockets is
>> wrong on ARM64 server platforms, a "socket" needs to be a memory
>> controller attached I think.
>>
>> Take D05 for example, there are two physical SoC sockets on
>> the board but with two CPU DIE (with memory controller) on each
>> physical socket, and 4 clusters on each CPU DIE.
>>
>> When considering clusters as sockets (that's the code for now),
>> there are 16 "sockets" to represent to OS for schedule input,
>> but only 4 NUMA nodes, which are confusing the scheduler a lot...
>>
>> Xiongfeng was working on the CPU topology based on PPTT, and the code
>> is under internal review, if it's OK for you, we can send them out
>> for review comments to see if we can join our effort together, or
>> we can work on top of your patches, as you like :)
>>

>>> An example of lstopo with this patch:
>>>
>>> [root at mammon-juno-rh ~]# lstopo-no-graphics
>>> Machine (8072MB)
>>>    Package L#0 + L2 L#0 (1024KB)
>>>      L1d L#0 (32KB) + L1i L#0 (32KB) + Core L#0 + PU L#0 (P#0)
>>>      L1d L#1 (32KB) + L1i L#1 (32KB) + Core L#1 + PU L#1 (P#1)
>>>      L1d L#2 (32KB) + L1i L#2 (32KB) + Core L#2 + PU L#2 (P#2)
>>>      L1d L#3 (32KB) + L1i L#3 (32KB) + Core L#3 + PU L#3 (P#3)
>>>    Package L#1 + L2 L#1 (2048KB)
>>>      L1d L#4 (32KB) + L1i L#4 (48KB) + Core L#4 + PU L#4 (P#4)
>>>      L1d L#5 (32KB) + L1i L#5 (48KB) + Core L#5 + PU L#5 (P#5)
>>>    HostBridge L#0
>>>      PCIBridge
>>>        PCIBridge
>>>          PCIBridge
>>>            PCI 1095:3132
>>>              Block(Disk) L#0 "sda"
>>>          PCIBridge
>>>            PCI 11ab:4380
>>>              Net L#1 "enp8s0"
>>>
>>> Jeremy Linton (4):
>>>    drivers: base: cacheinfo: Add support for ACPI based firmware tables
>>>    arm64: cacheinfo: Add support for ACPI/PPTT generated topology
>>>    ACPI/PPTT: Add Processor Properties Topology Table parsing
>>>    ACPI: Enable PPTT support on ARM64
>>>
>>>   arch/arm64/kernel/cacheinfo.c |  23 ++-
>>>   drivers/acpi/arm64/Kconfig    |   3 +
>>>   drivers/acpi/arm64/Makefile   |   1 +
>>
>> I think PPTT is not ARM64 only, can be used for x86 too,
>> shall we locate them on drivers/acpi?
>
> Austin and I have been working on the CPU topology.  Sounds like we have some overlap with your work.  We have a working prototype at https://source.codeaurora.org/quic/server/kernel/log/?h=jhugo/pptt but are still doing some cleanup and fixes for our needs.
>
> Drivers/acpi makes sense to us, and was our working assumption.

John and I have also been working on the CPU topology. Our code can be got at https://github.com/fenghusthu/acpi_pptt .

I have tested it on the D05 board and it is OK.

Maybe we can work together, combine our codes, and make a better code structure.