wdt, gpio: move arch_initcall into subsys_initcall ?

Heiko Schocher hs at denx.de
Wed Nov 16 23:08:00 PST 2016

Hello Guenter, Vladimir,

Sorry for the late response, but I was "on the road" ...

Am 15.11.2016 um 14:46 schrieb Guenter Roeck:
> On 11/15/2016 03:32 AM, Vladimir Zapolskiy wrote:
>> On 11/15/2016 01:10 PM, Vladimir Zapolskiy wrote:

>>> in my opinion this is overly heavy solution and it might be
>>> better to avoid it if possible.
>>>
>>> I would rather prefer to reconsider GPIO_WATCHDOG_ARCH_INITCALL
>>> usage in the watchdog driver.
>>>
>>> Moreover adding this proposed GPIO_MCX_ARCH_INITCALL to call
>>> the driver on arch level will result in deferring the GPIO driver.

>>> The level of "earliness" can not be defined in absolute time value
>>> in any case, why decreasing the init level of the watchdog driver
>>> to subsys level can cause problems? For that there should exist
>>> some kind of a dependency on IC or PCB hardware level, can you
>>> name it please?

On the current problem, there is no dependency on PCB, but I know
of watchdogs triggered through a gpio pin, which must triggered < 1 second
and subsys_initcall is too late for this. I think, this was the reason
for introducing the CONFIG_GPIO_WATCHDOG_ARCH_INITCALL option ...

>>> Also please note that more than a half of all GPIO drivers settle
>>> on subsys or later initcall level, this means that there is
>>> an expected GPIO watchdog driver deferral for all of them.
>>
>> Please find two more late notes though.
>>
>>> I propose to send two patches for review:
>>>
>>> 1. remove GPIO_WATCHDOG_ARCH_INITCALL option completely and decouple
>>>    module_platform_driver() into arch_initcall() and module_exit()
>>>    unconditionally.
>>>
>>> 2. change arch_initcall() in the watchdog driver to subsys_initcall().
>>>    This change removes probe deferrals on boot, when the driver is
>>>    used with the most of the GPIO controllers.
>>
>> Alternatively commit 5e53c8ed813d ("watchdog: gpio_wdt: Add option for
>> early registration") can be reverted and then module_platform_driver()
>> is decoupled into subsys_initcall() and module_exit() as its replacement.
>>
> Sure, only the reason for that was that there are situations where
> subsys_initcall() was too late. Also, when using arch_initcall() only,
> we get deferrals again, which is apparently hated by many and a reason
> for all those "avoid probe deferrals" patches.

Exactly. And I wonder, if this boards, who need this early trigger,
work with current kernel ? (Or this boards use a gpio driver, which is
not in subsys_initcall level ...)

>> And also please note that since quite many GPIO controller drivers
>> live on initcall levels after subsys_initcall(), the solution won't
>> let to avoid watchdog driver deferrals totally, this should be accepted.
>>
> ... except for others it isn't, and we are back to square one.
>
> GPIO_WATCHDOG_ARCH_INITCALL was intended to be only used in situations
> where needed. Why is it used here in the first place if that is not
> the case ?

Heh, good question ...

"/dev/watchdog" is in systemd hard-coded, see:
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/dd8352659c9428b196706d04399eec106a8917ed/src/shared/watchdog.c#L86
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/watchdog.html
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-system.conf.html

We have 2 WDT driver enabled on the board (GPIO WDT and the DA9063 WDT).

If both WDTs are in the subsys_initall level, first the da9063 wdt
gets probed, and so "/dev/watchdog" points to the da9063 wdt, but
we want to use the GPIO wdt as "/dev/watchdog" device.

Now, why not simple disabling the da9063 wdt ?

We could not disable the da9063 wdt functionallity, because we need
for a clean reboot that the da9063_wdt_restart() is called in the
restart sequence ... which is registered in the wdt driver:

static const struct watchdog_ops da9063_watchdog_ops = {
[...]
         .restart = da9063_wdt_restart,
};

Is there a possbility to register this restart function may somewhere
else? It seems, that this is not a WDT functionallity ...

bye,
Heiko