linux-next: build failure after merge of the net-next tree

Bjorn Andersson bjorn.andersson at linaro.org
Tue May 10 11:39:34 PDT 2016

On Mon 09 May 18:29 PDT 2016, Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After merging the net-next tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
> allmodconfig) failed like this:
>
> net/qrtr/smd.c:106:14: error: initialization from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
>   .callback = qcom_smd_qrtr_callback,
>               ^
> net/qrtr/smd.c:106:14: note: (near initialization for 'qcom_smd_qrtr_driver.callback')
>
> Caused by commit
>
>   bdabad3e363d ("net: Add Qualcomm IPC router")
>
> interacting with commit
>
>   b853cb9628bf ("soc: qcom: smd: Make callback pass channel reference")
>
> from the arm-soc tree.
>
> I added the following merge fix patch (and it turned out I needed the
> new stubs).

Sorry for not spotting this issue earlier, I missed Andy's second pull
request towards arm-soc and thought the SMD changes missed this cycle.

Your patch looks good, but I'm not sure how we should approach the merge
window; Andy can't pick the patch because he doesn't have the qrtr code
and David doesn't have the SMD patches coming through Andy.

FWIW, Reviewed-by: Bjorn Andersson <bjorn.andersson at linaro.org>

I assume we could have the QRTR go through Andy and arm-soc, with
David's approval and this fix squashed in. But we're running rather late
in this cycle, perhaps we should just back the QRTR patches out and I
can respin and resend them after the merge window (for v4.8 instead)?

Suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
Bjorn