[RFC v2 00/13] usb/mmc/power: Fix USB/LAN when TFTP booting

Peter Chen hzpeterchen at gmail.com
Thu May 5 22:44:59 PDT 2016

On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 05:42:40PM -0500, Rob Herring wrote:
> On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 02:34:13PM +0200, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is a different, second try to fix usb3503+lan on Odroid U3 board
> > if it was initialized by bootloader (e.g. for TFTP boot).
> >
> > First version:
> > http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg140042.html
> >

> > Problem
> > =======
> > When Odroid U3 (usb3503 + smsc95xx + max77686) boots from network (TFTP),
> > the usb3503 and LAN smsc95xx do not show up in "lsusb". Hard-reset
> > is required, e.g. by suspend to RAM. The actual TFTP boot does
> > not have to happen. Just "usb start" from U-Boot is sufficient.
> >
> > From the schematics, the regulator is a supply only to LAN, however
> > without toggling it off/on, the usb3503 hub won appear neither.
> >

> > Solution
> > ========
> > This is very similar to the MMC pwrseq behavior so the idea is to:
> > 1. Move MMC pwrseq drivers to generic place,
>
> You can do that, but I'm going to NAK any use of pwrseq bindings outside
> of MMC. I think it is the wrong way to do things. The DT should describe
> the devices. If they happen to be "simple" then the core can walk the
> tree and do any setup. For example, look for "reset-gpios" and toggle
> that GPIO. There is no need for a special node.

Oh, I am doing the same thing like this patch set doing. Then, how can
we let things be generic like you mention at [1] if without common
pwrseq driver/library? The properties like "reset-gpios" under
USB child node seems can only be handled by USB driver.

[1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg137312.html

--

Best Regards,
Peter Chen