Bad mode in undefined instruction handler detected

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 12:18:08 PDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 2:29 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> THUMB2_KERNEL is an option, which I believe you already have disabled.
> So, the offending option is probably ARM_UNWIND.  You are provided with
> the ARM_UNWIND option, and you need to say no to that.  Don't try to
> build a kenrel with frame pointers and unwinding together - it'll
> probably fail, or if you succeed in building it, it probably won't
> work correctly since that's a combination we don't support.

Right, I can confirm that building with both produces a kernel that
doesn't boot (for me anyway).  Unfortunately, enabling FRAME_POINTER
instead of ARM_UNWIND produced a kernel which, when it crashed only
told me:

Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address e5912144
pgd = c0004000
[e5912144] *pgd=00000000
Internal error: Oops: 5 [#1] ARM

Is there something else I need to enable to get a more verbose dump?

--wpd