Broken PCIe on Synology DS414

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Mar 8 06:48:10 PST 2016

Hello Phil,

On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 15:04:12 +0100, Phil Sutter wrote:

> OK, that's strange then. As said, I don't see an error message when
> crypto SRAM regions are present in DT. It's just that the kernel does
> not see any PCI devices (therefore no messages from the drivers, either)
> and lspci shows no output. I would expect to see at least the PCI
> bridge?!
>
> Sadly, I can't change the PCI device configuration, as the two devices
> are built-in (didn't disassemble the box yet). Installed are a Marvell
> SATA controller and some XHCI controller (don't remember the
> manufacturer, but it's handled by generic xhci-pci driver).
>
> Indeed the situation is resolved by removing the crypto SRAM range
> definitions - of course, the kernel complains about not being able to
> register the crypto engine driver, but the PCI devices appear and the
> HDD is found (so they seem to be functional, too).

Again, this seems really weird. I really don't see why removing the
crypto SRAM ranges would have any effect. Could you share a complete
boot log with and without the crypto SRAM ranges in your .dts ?

> Could this be affected by U-Boot? I use mainline U-Boot which just
> recently accepted my board support patches. I tried to add the crypto
> SRAM ranges to U-Boot's DTS file also, but that alone did not help.
> But this reminds me to test mainline kernel again with proprietary
> U-Boot, which luckily is still present in flash. I'll get back once I
> did.

I am not testing with the mainline U-Boot -sadly-, but only with the
vendor U-Boot.

This might indeed have an effect.

Thomas
--