sh-eth.c writes to non-existent register on RZ/A1

Chris Brandt Chris.Brandt at renesas.com
Mon Jul 11 05:27:01 PDT 2016

Daniel,

You might have better luck posting Renesas device questions to the Renesas mailing list.

http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-renesas-soc

> There seem to be a few different controllers that are roughly the same and used in Renesas...

Yes, that base Ethernet IP block has been used in many SH4 and Renesas-ARM devices over the years and has many variations. Makes it easy for code reuse.

> The controller in the RZ/A1 has a tsu but is missing one of the registers that is
> called "TSU_POST1" in the tables for other chips.

That is because this feature (POST) is dealing with relaying frames between two Ethernet ports, and as you know...the RZ/A1 only has 1 Ethernet controller. So it makes sense that this register isn't included.

> and I considered submitting a patch with the contents of sh_eth_tsu_enable_cam_entry_post() wrapped with if(sh_eth_is...)

It's on my list of things to do in the next couple months to push in all the RZ/A1 BSP driver changes back upstream. After I got the XIP_LINUX fixes in earlier this year, I got a bit side tracked on other projects.

Chris