Performance mesaurement over pcie inconsistent

valmiki valmikibow at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 07:58:45 PDT 2016

Hi all,

Im trying to measure DMA performance over pcie. We dont have any counters
in our hardware which shows per second data rate values.
I'm trying to measure performance by taking kernel timestamps using
ktime_get(), but for transferring 'n' bytes data i'm always getting
inconsistent time difference, im taking timestamps before and after
transferring data(latter timestamp taken when transfer complete interrupt
comes).

Is is good method to measure performance with software timestamps ?
I need help in what would be better way to measure performance when we
dont have hardware counters.

what are the kernel provided better timestamping calls other that
ktime_get and do_gettimeoftheday, which are more stable ?

Thanks & Regards,
Valmiki