iommu/arm-smmu-v2 ASID/VMID calculation

Robin Murphy robin.murphy at arm.com
Tue Jan 26 03:48:26 PST 2016

On 26/01/16 03:11, Chalamarla, Tirumalesh wrote:
> one my colleague points out, ASIDPNE also implementation defined.

ASIDPNE only covers whether the SMMU's TLBs may ignore broadcast
_invalidation_ or not, not lookups. Broadcast TLB lookups are not a thing.

> Thanks,
> Tirumalesh.
>

> On 1/25/16, 4:48 PM, "linux-arm-kernel on behalf of Chalamarla, Tirumalesh" <linux-arm-kernel-bounces at lists.infradead.org on behalf of Tirumalesh.Chalamarla at caviumnetworks.com> wrote:
>
>> I don’t think it followed spec.
>>
>> The SMMU spec (IHI0062C) says (section 2.2):
>>
>>    - The exact behavior of any TLB functionality is IMPLEMENTATION DEFINED
>>
>> Section 2.2 describes the constraints on sharing (e.g. multiple contexts
>> using the same ASID says):
>>
>>       "If multiple context banks have hte same attributes but describe
>>        different translations, the results of a TLB lookup are UNPREDICTABLE".

Multiple context banks within the same SMMU, that is.

>> The present smmu driver assumes ASID should only be unique per SMMU, this might not be true for all
>> Implementations.

Where "SMMU" implies "set of context banks behind a single programming
interface", i.e. it should be true for all architecturally-compliant
implementations.

What if you take your system, fire up two cores with SMP disabled, and
run an independent instance of Linux on each, with all the system
resources divided up equally between them and no communication? If one
OS using one SMMU can make the other OS using a different SMMU go wrong,
then the hardware is simply broken. Sure, we can probably quirk ASID
allocation in the driver, but it raises the question of what else we
would need to do to keep SMMUs which believe they're supposed to be
independent from DoS'ing each other..

Robin.