RFC: extend IOMMU attributes

Will Deacon will.deacon at arm.com
Thu Feb 18 08:21:45 PST 2016

Hi Stuart,

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 04:16:26PM +0000, Stuart Yoder wrote:
> We are implementing support for some specialized NXP SoC network
> devices and have the desire to extend the mapping attributes beyond
> those currently in iommu.h. (I see there is a recent proposal to
> add an IOMMU_MMIO flag)
>
> What we have right now in Linux is a least-common-denominator set of
> attributes, while for the ARM SMMU there is a much richer set of
> attributes that seem useful to support. Specifically, we have one
> SoC device we're dealing with right now that is the target of DMA
> that functionally requires a "cacheable, non-shareable" attribute
> in its SMMU mapping.
>
> In addition, there are many other attributes such as r/w allocate
> hints, transient hints, write-back/write-thru, etc in the SMMU.
>
> We wanted to see what your thinking is with respect to the
> direction the Linux IOMMU layer will head over the longer term with
> respect to attributes.
>
> Is there anything problematic with continuing to grow the
> attributes in iommu.h?...e.g.:
>
>  #define IOMMU_READ            (1 << 0)
>  #define IOMMU_WRITE           (1 << 1)
> -#define IOMMU_CACHE           (1 << 2) /* DMA cache coherency */
> +#define IOMMU_CACHE_COHERENT  (1 << 2) /* cacheable and coherent */
>  #define IOMMU_NOEXEC          (1 << 3)
>  #define IOMMU_MMIO            (1 << 4) /* e.g. things like MSI doorbells */
> +#define IOMMU_CACHEABLE       (1 << 5) /* cacheable, not coherent */

What does that even mean?

> +#define IOMMU_CACHE_ALLOCATE  (1 << 6) /* hint to allocate in the cache */
>
> Also, are we willing to let somewhat architecture specific flags
> onto that list?  For, example the ARM 'transient' hint.

If we're going to support fine-grained attribute control, I think it needs
to be done in a page-table specific manner. That is, io-pgtable-arm could
provide those attribute controls which feature in the ARMv8 architecture...

...but that brings me onto my next question: Who on Earth is actually
going to provide these attributes to the IOMMU API?

There seems to be a missing piece.

Will