Crashes in arm qemu emulations due to 'cpufreq: governor: Replace timers with utilization ...'

Guenter Roeck linux at roeck-us.net
Mon Feb 15 15:19:57 PST 2016

On 02/15/2016 02:29 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 15 February 2016 at 17:05, Guenter Roeck <linux at roeck-us.net> wrote:
>> I see crashes in various arm qemu tests due to 'cpufreq: governor: Replace
>> timers with utilization update callbacks' with next-20160215. An example
>> crash log and bisect results are attached below.
>>
>> Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help tracking down
>> the problem.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Guenter
>>
>> ---
>>
>> Building arm:beagle:multi_v7_defconfig:omap3-beagle ... running ..... failed (crashed)
>> ------------
>> qemu log:
>
> You're using the QEMU beagle board emulation? Can I ask which
> QEMU you're using (qemu-linaro?). If the OMAP3 emulation is still
> actively useful to people I might have another stab at getting
> it into upstream QEMU some day...

Yes, I use qemu-linaro for those tests.

Is it useful ? Obviously for me, yes. It lets me test images in qemu,
and I don't need real hardware to run those tests. That means that
I don't depend on the hardware really working, and I am not hosed
if the hardware breaks down and I don't have a replacement. Plus,
of course, I don't need a lab with 90+ pieces of hardware.

Guenter