XHCI controller does not detect USB key insertion

Mason slash.tmp at free.fr
Fri Dec 2 02:24:05 PST 2016

On 02/12/2016 10:03, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> Mason wrote:
>
>> I'm trying out a SoC with a brand new USB controller, which is (supposedly)
>> a standard XHCI controller. In theory, I would just need to build the right
>> driver, and everything would auto-magically work, right?
>
> perhaps, but there might be needed initialization of other resources
> like PHYs and stuff like that.

Let me dive into additional details...

First of all, there is a register aptly called "USB3_RESET" which
is used to release several USB3-related blocks from reset.
Of course, that's the first register I tweaked :-)

There are *3* address ranges with USB3-related registers.

1) one called host_usb30_xhcl (I believe "xhcl" is a typo for "xhci")
This is the address I passed to the Linux driver. The first register
is CAPLENGTH_VERSION. I assume these are the standard XHCI registers.
(Last register is XHCL_EXTENDED_CAP3_USB3 at offset 0xc008)

2) one called host_usb30_port
This contains "Device and Port Specific Registers".
Is it standard?
How is Linux supposed to know where to find it?
Contains registers such as
Device Transaction Status
Device UTMI command and status for USB2
Set ISOC Delay
USB3 Function Notification
Rx DMA BD Start Address for Control Endpoint
EP Burst Size
Tx DMA BD Start Address Control Endpoint
EP $N IN/OUT
Device Notification Register
EP_Isochronous Timestamp

Are registers named LTSSM_TIMER_REGISTER{1,2,3} standard?
they have fields such as reg_12_ms_timeout (and other numbers like 2, 6, 100, 300)

3) one called host_usb30
This contains lower-level stuff
0x2e800	CONFIG
0x2e804	CONTROL
0x2e808	TEST
0x2e80c	STATUS
0x2e810	CLK_RST_0
0x2e814	CLK_RST_1
0x2e818	PARAM_0
0x2e81c	PARAM_1
0x2e820	PARAM_2
0x2e880	SNPS_CR_ADD
0x2e884	SNPS_CR_DATA
0x2e8c0	RESET_CTRL

I haven't touched any of these so far.

>> # lsusb -v
>> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
>> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003

Isn't lsusb verbose supposed to print much more than that?

>> I'd like to hear suggestions about what I can tweak to fix the problem.
>
> go to your documentation and see if you have initialized
> everything. Which SoC is this?

(Sad face) All the documentation I have is in front of me, and nothing
is ringing a bell. This is a Sigma Designs SoC, with a Pravega XHCI
controller + Synopsys PHY.

The documentation I have:

Pravega_Dual_Mode_Datasheet_v10c.pdf (documents IP signals)
Pravega_Dual_Mode_Controller_Programmers_Reference_manual_v1.pdf (documents IP registers)
PHY databook (very low-level stuff)
SoC register mapping (for how the SoC maps the IP signals to registers)

So far, I'm stumped :-(

Regards.