Older hisilicon chipsets

Marty Plummer netz.kernel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 17:48:06 PDT 2016

Greetings.

It has recently come to my mind to begin working on an updated firmware
for my employer's CCTV/DVR boxes, which are based around the Hi3520 line
of arm SoC.

In the process of learning which files I need to edit in order to
integrate my changes into the linux build system, I've come to find that
arch/arm/mach-hisi/{Kconfig,Makefile} covers no less than four different
chips from Hisilicon, and that seems to make it a bit awkward to insert
a whole new arch/arm/mach- directory for one single SoC and create
duplicate menuitems for Hisilicon.

So, I'm wondering whereabouts I should place the data for the chips that
I am working on, for the sake of organization and whatnot.

Also, I've been having difficulty getting a response from Hisilicon
regarding my request for source code for this and a few other of their
chips running in our other, newer DVRs, even though a cursory
examination after accessing the devices via telnet shows they do in fact
run a busybox/linux/uClibc based system, with a number of GPL licensed
libraries and kernel modules.

Regards,
	Marty