v4l subdevs without big device was Re: drivers/media/i2c/adp1653.c: does not show as /dev/video* or v4l-subdev*

Hans Verkuil hverkuil at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 29 00:31:51 PDT 2016

On 04/29/2016 09:15 AM, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> On n900, probe finishes ok (verified by adding printks), and the
>> device shows up in /sys, but I  don't get /dev/video* or
>> /dev/v4l-subdev*.
>>
>> Other drivers (back and front camera) load ok, and actually work. Any
>> idea what could be wrong?
>
> Ok, so I guess I realized what is the problem:
>
> adp1653 registers itself as a subdev, but there's no device that
> register it as its part.
>
> (ad5820 driver seems to have the same problem).
>
> Is there example "dummy" device I could use, for sole purpose of
> having these devices appear in /dev? They are on i2c, so both can work
> on their own.

Ah, interesting. This was discussed a little bit during the Media Summit
a few weeks back:

http://linuxtv.org/news.php?entry=2016-04-20.mchehab

See section 5:

"5. DT Bindings for flash & lens controllers

There are drivers that create their MC topology using the device tree information,
which works great for entities that transport data, but how to detect entities
that don’t transport data such as flash devices, focusers, etc.? How can those be
deduced using the device tree?

Sensor DT node add phandle to focus controller: add generic v4l binding properties
to reference such devices."

This wasn't a problem with the original N900 since that didn't use DT AFAIK and
these devices were loaded explicitly through board code.

But now you run into the same problem that I have.

The solution is that sensor devices have to provide phandles to those controller
devices. And to do that you need to define bindings which is always the hard part.

Look in Documentation/devicetree/bindings/media/video-interfaces.txt, section
"Optional endpoint properties".

Something like:

controllers: an array of phandles to controller devices associated with this
endpoint such as flash and lens controllers.

Warning: I'm no DT expert, so this is just a first attempt.

Platform drivers (omap3isp) will have to add these controller devices to the list
of subdevs to load asynchronously.

Regards,

	Hans